SIXTH ANNUAL ROD MARSHAL TOURNAMENT HELD ON HARLAN COUNTY LAKE
By Sandi Lyons-Hoard
Saturday May 6 and Sunday May 7, 2017, the Sixth Annual Rod Marshal Fishing Tournament, hosted by the Harlan Anglers Walleye Club, was held on Harlan County Lake. Saturday the weather was overcast with no wind. Sunday was cloudy, warm with a strong southern wind. A total of 162 fish were caught Saturday and 228 fish were caught Sunday for a total weight of 821.85 pounds of fish. 85 teams from Nebraska, Kansas, and Colorado participated in this year’s tournament.
We want to say “Thank You!” to Dennis Heying and Tammi Heying and family of Minden, Ne., for all their help and support for and during the tournament. They helped to make this year’s tournament a huge success!
A special thanks goes out to the Nebraska Walleye Trail for their co-sponsoring and supporting the tournament; to the Nebraska Walleye Association and all the Anglers that fished the tournament and to all the area businesses for their donations and support of the tournament; to Todd Garringer for being the tournament’s weighmaster; to Rod Marshall family and Todd Garringer and son for doing boat checks both days, Rod Bartell for letting seeing the boats off and back in and Troy Hornaman for measuring fish.
The “Big Fish,” caught by Larry Riggs from Seldon, Kansas weighed 8.68 pounds and paid $850. This tournament had 100% payouts that were paid to a total of 17 winning teams. Listed are the top five teams:
- First Place at a cash prize of $7,200 went to Rob Martensen, and Greg Mekelburg from Nebraska. Total weight of fish caught for both days was 25.88 pounds.
- Second Place at a cash prize of $4,200 went to Bill Kunze and Greg Belgum of Nebraska Total weight of fish caught for both days was 24.94 pounds.
- Third Place at a cash prize of $2,900 went to Caleb Quinn and Travis Fredrick of Nebraska. Total weight of fish caught for both days was 24.42 pounds.
- Fourth Place at a cash prize of $1,300 went to Ben Seim and Scott Willis Nebraska. Total weight of fish caught both days was 23.60 pounds.
- Fifth Place at a cash prize of $1,000 went to Randall Horine and Brandon Sinsel of Nebraska. Total weight of fish caught both days was 22.60 pounds.